May 26, 2009

We had a deadline to leave W. Fifth Street, so my parents found an apartment for the family. We only lived there for six months because a single family house was for sale on Gates Street, so this was now the Corliss family home. I thoroughly enjoyed growing up close to Dorchester Heights, which is a National Historic Monument. Being the youngest of five I have to say I had it a lot easier than my two sisters and two brothers. My Father and Mother would probably be considered strict, caring and hardworking parents.

They were born in Ireland but in two different counties, Galway and Mayo. After arriving in America, my Father served in World War I. They provided us with whatever we essentially needed to keep us happy and healthy. They were both very talented and resourceful so that was a big help. My Father made any repairs necessary on the house and my Mother cooked, baked, sewed and knitted for us. They certainly knew how to make ends meet.

The United States entered World War II around the time of our relocation and my two brothers, John and Bernie, enlisted in the U.S. Navy along with many of their neighborhood friends. “Pa”, as we called him, had to sign for them because they were just out of high school. He was devastated, as was the whole family, to see my brothers leave home. During basic training Jose, which is short for Josephine, the oldest in the family, took a bus down to Newport to visit them but never went empty handed. Before they were shipped overseas, John married his childhood sweetheart, Evie. After three or four years, both John and Bernie finally came home safe and sound. Many of their friends, however, were not as fortunate.

After the war TC (Theresa), Bernie (Michael) and Jose (Josephine) got married and all made excellent choices. Our family was extended now and we had many enjoyable times together. My brothers-in law and sisters-in-law treated me as if I were their little sister too. They would come back often to enjoy Ma’s excellent cooking and baking. John remained in South Boston, only two streets away, and the other three moved to Dorchester. When the babies came along, being a teenager now, I would babysit for them whenever I could and was well rewarded in one way or another. I wore a uniform to St. Augustine’s School but I always had an eye for other outfits and if my sisters didn’t get them for me, my brothers did. I was the only one left in the house with Ma and Pa now and my high school graduation was fast approaching.

Around this time, my friends and I would frequent Bessie’s Donut Shop on Broadway before or after a movie. That is where I met Freddie, my husband of 54 years. He was known as “ Buddy” to his family however his best friend, Charlie Malley, nicknamed him "Twilight" and called him that most of the time. We would see each other frequently during that year while Freddie attended South Boston High School.. Now the United States was involved in the Korean Conflict. Like many of his friends , Freddie enlisted in the Army soon after graduation in 1950.

What followed is another story. Check back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment