September 21, 2009

Part Two

The bridal shower was hosted by my sister, “TC” (Theresa), who was my maid of honor and bridesmaids Anna Green and Sissy Flaherty. It was not only a surprise but an enjoyable evening at St. Vincent’s Social Center. Of course my sister Jose (Josephine) had her hand in the necessary preparations for it.

Freddie and his friend Charlie Malley had a double bachelor party. We got married a couple weeks apart from Charlie and his bride Ann Sheehan. To my knowledge all in attendance had a great night until Fred had a car accident on the way home but luckily he was not injured. God only knows why.

The wedding day came on October 2nd; I walked down the aisle in St. Augustine’s Church at 11:00 AM that Saturday morning on my Father’s arm. I do not know who was more nervous Freddie or me but we made it through a meaningful Mass officiated by my cousin Msgr. John Keilty, even though it was 90 degrees that day. To make matters worse the wedding gown my Mother bought for me was mostly satin and lace which are heavy materials but it was beautiful.

We then proceeded to join our 300 guests at the Lithuanian Club in South Boston for our reception, which was catered by Fred’s aunt Gladys Lapsley. She provided a great four course dinner while the Johnny Powell band played a mixture of American and Irish tunes.

After the reception we immediately left on a motor trip for our honeymoon through the Middle Atlantic States, including Niagra Falls. About eight days later we returned home but were unable to stay at our apartment because there was a delay in shipment of our bedroom set, which was coming from South Carolina. We stayed at 51 Gates Street until it was delivered on October 23rd. We had only stayed at our new apartment for two nights and on Monday morning we both went off to our jobs, Freddie at F. W. Rooney Trans. Co. and mine at U. S. Testing Company on A Street in South Boston.

Late morning on that Monday I was called home from work to learn that my Father, who was in the hospital at the time, had died in his sleep. He was in the hospital being treated for a fractured ankle and died from a coronary embolism. My Mother, being the strong woman that she always was, handled the shock well. Freddie and I, after a long discussion with her, decided we should return and live at 51 Gates Street on a permanent basis.

What has happened over the years in that house since then will come next.

No comments:

Post a Comment