September 24, 2009

The Wedding: Part One

First and foremost on Fred’s mind upon arriving home, after getting honorably discharged from the U. S. Army, was getting an automobile. He had a military license to drive but had to get it certified by the Registry. After that he was in the market for a car and ended up with a blue and white Fairlane Ford.

It was helpful for his commute up to Reading every day to work for his Father and also to get around. When he would pick me up every evening in this beautiful car, my parents would be in awe. We found it easier then to visit my sisters or brother living in Dorchester and when available would babysit for them. We would frequently double-date with our friends, many whom have since passed away. We both enjoyed going to the movies so we went at least every week.

During the summer months we would be able to get to beaches in the suburbs, if we wanted to have a change from our local Carson Beach. We spent a lot of time with Fred’s sister Marion who was two years younger than him. Marion was “going steady” with Pat Cahill at this time and was planning on getting married. I could understand why Fred was so close to Marion, as it did not take me long before I thought of her as a sister. She and Pat were married a couple years before Fred and I and we spent many evenings with them in their apartment. To this day I shall never forget Marion, who became a favorite of my Mother’s too.

For Christmas of 1953 Fred surprised me with a “Hope Chest”. He had it delivered to my house and he conspired with my Father to put it in my parents’ bedroom until Christmas Eve. I guess that was Fred’s discrete way of getting my Father’s approval, much different from how it is done today. My Father really liked Freddie, maybe because he was not overpowering and is known for being “a man of very few words”. My Mother could not believe someone his age, 21-years-old at the time, was so hard-working and ambitious. After meeting Fred’s family, especially his Grandmother, my Mother, “Ma” as we called her, they was very pleased with my choice of a boyfriend.

Fred decided he no longer wanted to be just a “boyfriend” so he bought me an engagement ring in the Spring and I think I just took it for granted that we should make plans for a wedding. Now that I think of it, I do not recall that he actually “popped the question”.

My Father would not hear of us looking for an apartment because he assumed we would live at 51 Gates Street. After much persuasion he agreed it would be better for both Fred and I, along with him and my Mother, who at long last would have an empty nest to themselves.With a lot of assistance and support from my Mother and my sisters, we made the wedding plans and at the same time Fred and I found an apartment on East Fourth Street. While I was scheduling the Church and reception, Fred was working diligently to make the apartment a presentable place to live. With the help of Marion and my Mother, we both agreed on the same furniture. Next was a surprise bridal shower, of course nothing comparable to the showers today, but we thought we struck gold with the beautiful, useful gifts we received.

No comments:

Post a Comment